The only class I am not "flipping" my classroom for is my Intro to Stats class. These kids need more active learning in class and are probably the kids I trust most to use the iPads on a daily basis.
Today I had them work on some online questions, these were not graded, collected or recorded in any manner at all. All students worked SILENTLY on the questions, and only one student asked how I was recording their answers. I gave students a time limit on answering the questions, and then gave them a one question quiz afterward; this worked PERFECTLY!
I had found the questions on a site called "Mathopolis". HOWEVER- I had posted the link on my website so students could go directly to the questions that I intended them to answer, and it did not take them to where it was supposed to. So I had to revise their directions, and make sure every student was able to get to the correct place- so first set it was a FLOP. By 5th set I had figured out how to get students there in as few as 5 clicks! Blah!
Another fun thing that I did, that doesn't really involve iPads, was I had the students make themselves into a human stem-and-leaf plot. We used the stairs in the back of the building, I put the "stems" on the railings, and they were the leaves. I took a picture of them, and then when we were back in the classroom projected the photo so they could make their stem-and-leaf plot on their paper. It was really cute. Below are the pictures of my little Gremlins.


Freakin' cool, Vicki. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete