So my big adventure with iPads was using them as a personal notebook. We all know how disorganized our students can be (just look in one of those about to explode backpacks). So my hope was to be able to put everything onto the iPads and use them as a personal notebook. There are of course a few problems with this:
1. Students only have iPads when in our class
2. Some students still do not have online access outside of school (a very small percentage)
So as I was thinking about what to use I had a few minmum requirements:
1. Online - anytime - anywhere access.
2. The ability to download word/pdf documents and write on them with their iPad
3. The ability to "hand" the documents in.
4. Free (or minimal cost)
Here is what I have come up with:
Evernote - this app can be used on all devices ... computers, tablets, smart phones etc. Its free (so #4 achieved) and they can access it on any device anywhere they have wifi (so #1) achieved. Drawbacks - its a little clunky on the iPad. You can view downloaded documents but you cant mark up documents (as the kids say - "epic fail" on #2). The other drawback is our email server doesn't play well with emailed evernote documents. I have found lots of emailed evernote documents in our spam and trash folders. I am trying to have them send it to my ymail account now ... I will let you know how that goes. A huge plus - photos ... the kids love taking pictures of what they are learning - drawback - you use up the free space quickly.
Skitch - Take a photo and mark it up ... send it to evernote (very cool)
Working on learning "Goodnotes" so far it seems like that would work for marking up documents. I am going to try using that and having the kids send their final document to evernote and see if they play nicely.
And the journey continues ...
Mike
Cool deal, Mike. I've noticed students using both GoodNotes and Evernote as well ... for just the thing you mention ... importing PDFs directly into Evernote (from GoodNotes).
ReplyDelete