As you all know I have been playing with flipping over the last year in my classroom. I did take some surveys last year, and Dave came in to my room to see what the flipped learning looked,like. Today I had a revelation as I heard some kids talking.
Students who are WEAK, but do what they are asked, love the videos because they can come to class prepared, and can replay the video if they are confused.
Students who are LAZY, always have an excuse of why they couldn't get the videos to work, and dislike the videos because they have to spend 30-35 minutes doing homework instead of racing through it during study hall or Spanish class.
Students who are STRONG in math (whether it be work ethic or pure genetics), like it because they can work at their pace during class, and they don't have to be slowed down by the kids who are slower learners.
The conversation I heard today was this:
Weak student: "can we keep doing these videos, I like them a lot!"
Lazy/weak student: "Are you kidding, these take forever to watch! I don't like them."
Weak Student: "I really understand what is going on because I can rewind if I get confused."
WORST EXCUSE I HEARD TODAY:
Lazy Student: "I didn't understand how to do this."
Me: "So you didn't understand how to go to my website, click on two links that take you to YouTube, and copy down what I write down in the video? REALLY?!?!"
It really depends on the kids, whether or not they "like" the flipping in the math classroom. But what really matters is that it is AWESOME for providing them support on the content while they are in the classroom. Today I had to do a mini- lesson with them and I asked a few questions related to the toes from the night before and they did A FABULOUS job! I am surprised each time I flip my classroom by how awesome it is!
I'm giving this more and more serious consideration ... We can't please every student, but this is one heck of a way to differentiate a classroom!!
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing! On a normal day of teaching I feel like I am flying around with ,y eyes crossed, but with flipping, I feel less hectic. I get a chance to interact on a one on one level with each kid and REALLY help them out. It makes more work outside the classroom for sure, but the time in the classroom is much more productive and student centered.
ReplyDelete